1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Put the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Stir together well. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, beat the egg lightly. Add the milk and oil.
4. Add the egg, milk, and oil to the cornmeal mix. Stir just until blended.
5. Grease the muffin cups with some margarine or butter.
6. Fill each muffin cup 1/2 full with the batter.
7. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Add 1/2 cup grated apple or 1/2 cup applesauce in the batter.