Makes: 8 servings
Total Cost: $5.06
Serving Cost: $0.63
1 cupbrown rice (instant)
2 cupschicken broth (reduced sodium)
1 teaspoondehydrated onion (minced)
1/2 teaspoongarlic powder
1/2 teaspoonginger (ground)
1/8 teaspoonred pepper (optional)
2 cupssweet potato (peeled and diced)
1 cantomatoes (diced, 14.5 ounces, with liquid)
1/2 teaspoonsalt (optional)
1/2 cuppeanut butter (creamy, reduced-fat)
1 1/4 cupsmilk (non-fat)
3 cupsbaby spinach (coarsely chopped)
1/4 cuppeanuts (roasted, chopped)
unitgreen onion (optional, thinly sliced for garnish)
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a soup pot. Bring to boil, then turn down to medium low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter and milk. Return to gentle simmer and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Ladle stew into bowls and top with peanuts and green onion, if desired.
- Substitute 12 ounces frozen spinach for fresh.
- Flavor boosters: chopped cilantro, red and green peppers, raisins.